Sunday, June 15, 2008

My 5K

Today I did something that I never thought I would do, but I have always wanted to.

I ran a 5K.

No, I did not run the entire duration. But it is something I have been working up to for the past six weeks. I know I made some mistakes, but the point, plain and simple, is that I finished. I don't care what my time was or how many people passed me (although I had a hard time fighting that while I was running).

I finished. And next time I will do even better.

I realized that even though I had practiced and trained, I still didn't take different things into account.

1. Terrain. Most of my running is done on a treadmill, but I have tried to get outside and run because I knew it was going to be more difficult because of the pavement. But I forgot to account for small hills. I always forget to set the incline higher when I train and I always run on flat ground. This I will remember the next time.

2. The sun. Well this seems just plain silly. The race started at 8:15am so you would think it wouldn't be that hot.....but there were some areas where I could get no shade. And I was wearing a 3/4 length T-shirt and pants. Probably not my best move, but I am really not comfortable running in shorts. But perhaps I could get lighter pants and wear a short sleeved top.

3. I think I am slightly sick. This isn't an excuse, but the Sabrina didn't feel well the past three days and Sammy started showing big signs of it last night. I chalked it up to nerves, but perhaps I wasn't at my best pace.

4. Despite all warnings, I started out too fast and got too excited, hence, got winded too quickly and had to slow down. I will try really, really hard to remedy this for next time.

But you know what? I don't care. I am not going to beat myself up about something that I set out to do and FINISHED. I will simply train harder and better and kick my time in the butt next time.

I am setting a personal goal to do another 5K at the end of July or beginning of August.

And I know I will do even better!

Sabrina and I before the race.

run3

Sammy and I before the race.

run2

Finishing up!

A huge thanks to my family that came and supported me. And to my wonderful hubby, who has supported me always! I love you sweetie!

6 comments:

apacecoach said...

Way to go girl!!! I'm in for the next one, I promise :)

carrie said...

Yay! Congratulations! I hate running in shorts as well, because I have yet to find a pair that won't ride up. I did find these awesome running skirts though, and they are flattering: www.skirtsports.com. I got the two-pocket "GymGirl" because it has shorts underneath, and it prevented chaffing :) Also has room for an ipod in the pockets, so that's a bonus. They are really light, but provide coverage for my butt/thighs :)

Anyway, that's awesome that you completed the race... be careful, they are addicting!! ;)

Congratulations!!

Kristen said...

Look at you - beautiful & athletic. Wonderful job

I'm Jennifer. said...

Way to go girl! Job well done!

Can I also say, you are so photogenic! Those are gorgeous photos with the kids!

(Jennifer Muckenfuss)

Sambrina's Mama said...

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the encouragement! :)

Holly said...

you are awesome!!!! keep it up, i am defiantly not a good runner. Glad you are keeping up the good work and have a great outlook. You are a great role model for you little ones :)