Monday, March 17, 2008

A walk back in time........................

Dinner is cooking.

The twins are sleeping.

The house is clean.

What the heck????

So, while I have a moment, I have to share something. Jason and I met for lunch today and while I was driving the twins home, I passed a movie theater in Westland. We saw it last week also, and I can’t believe I forgot to blog about it.

Our old movie theater is now closed down. Westland Showcase Cinema’s had a sign on the marquee thanking the patrons of Westland for their business. It almost made me want to tear up a little.

This was the theater that I first went to went I was a child. I remember when it was built! It was before the days of stadium seating (which I actually enjoy). I remember getting dropped off at the movies with my bff Carrie and taking in a show. I remember first meeting boys there to see a movie. And, as I got older.....I remember when I got my license I could DRIVE there....it was the happening place to see a movie.

I can’t actually believe that it is closed down, although it doesn’t truly surprise me. With Emagine theater just in Canton and a huge AMC in Livonia, I guess it really was only a matter of time.

But it felt kind of sad to drive by and momentarily reminisce. I can’t believe that I am now actually old enough to remember when something was built and now watch it close down.
One day, I’ll be driving down Wayne road and the twins will be 16. Then I’ll say, "Kids, that’s where me and your dad used to go to the movies. I remember when they closed that place down."

And then they will roll their eyes at me and say, "Yeah mom, and I bet you had to walk 10 miles in the snow without boots on to go to it. Quit boring us with stories from your youth."

Ahhhhh, to be young again.

A note: I can only imagine that this does not bode well for Westland at all. These are the new stores just built in Canton recently:

Target, Old Navy, Kohl’s, JC Penney, Borders, Bath n’ Body Works....just to name a few.

I hope Westland thinks of something new soon.

No comments: