Thursday, April 10, 2008

Kind people vs. rude

 

I needed to pick something up at a store today, so I gave the babies an afternoon bath (we would be home late) and we were off.  Now going into a store might seem simple if you are childless.  Add one in and you have a little bit more to carry.  Add two and not only do you have more to carry, but there is just the plain logistics of getting them out of the car and into the store safely.

I am paranoid of kidnappers, so I have a system.  I get all of the stuff out and onto/into the stroller first.  Then I pull the stroller to one side and take out baby #1 and get baby #1 all buckled.  Then I pull the stroller to the other side and do the same.....although my leg is usually wrapped around the stroller to make sure no one kidnaps baby #1 while I am getting baby #2.  It's a grand time.

Anyway, today I got Sabrina out first.  Or, I was attempting to get her out.  Mind you, it's raining a bit.  A car pulls up next to me and the driver just looks at me.  Okay.  I shut the door to let her park.  Well, Sabrina is half way unbuckled so as soon as the woman parked I hurried up to get her.  The woman STILL opens her door (she can't wait ONE minute?) and makes some sort of comment as she goes.  What is wrong with people?

Honestly, I don't expect people to ohhh and ahhh over the babies (although most do :)).  I don't expect people to do me favors.  Heck, I don't even expect people to open the darn door when I am struggling with the double stroller.  I guess I just expect people to keep their comments to themselves and wait ONE minute in their WARM car so I can get my baby out.  Really. 

While this annoyed me, I still went on my merry way.  People still smiled at them and ohhhed and ahhhed over the babies. 

But later, my faith in humanity was restored.  As I was driving in the rain one of my windshield wipers quit working completely.  It was hard to see because of the rain.  So I pulled over to find that the wiper was removed from the thing (I do NOT know the technical name) that holds it on.  I tried to get the wiper back on, but it was too high....so it was essentially going OFF of the car.  Seriously, you should have seen me.  I looked like an idiot trying to pull the wiper off calling everyone I knew to help me.

I bit the bullet and asked a man nearby to help me.  And help me he did.  He pulled off the wiper, fixed it, shook my hand and wished me well getting the babies home. 

It was an act of kindness that reminded me how nice people really can be sometimes. 

It was so needed.

So tomorrow, do something nice for someone.  Make it "Rachel's Nice Deed Day."  Trust me, you'll make someone's day better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love tales of kindness from strangers.

Kind vs. Rude...
It reminds me of the time a man in a wheelchair hurried over to help me get Evie's stroller thru a broken automatic door, while a store employee stood by just watching.